Today I want to revisit the forest planting of Hackberries that we started in February. If you remember we started with 27 Hackberries of various ages and sizes. Here is what they looked like before we started any work.
After a little trimming you can start to see the individual trees again. Here is the way it looked about halfway through the trimming.
One of the benefits of using hackberry for a forest planting is that you can build a network of branches and twigs that will reduce in size in a fairly short amount of time.
After the trimming this is what we have.
Next year I'll start working on healing the scars on the trunks from branch removal and will continue on branch and apex development. If the trees respond to this first pruning strongly I may defoliate the whole forest in late July and force it to grow a new smaller set of leaves. As long as the tree is healthy it can stand total defoliation at least once and maybe even twice in a year. Defoliating not only causes smaller leaves but it also encourages branching as well.
I'm very pleased with the progress of this planting and can envision it in a winter silhouette show inside of five years.
I hope you enjoyed the update on the forest planting. In my next post I will be doing an air layer on a redwood which is another of my long term projects I intend to chronicle in this blog. If anyone has any questions or comments , as always I welcome them.
Just a note - on July 1st the price of all Japanese bonsai tools and wire is being raised by my importer 15%. So if you're thinking about buying any tools now is the time before the price increase. Until next time....