Today's post is going to be part two of the Juniper project. If you want to read part one click here. http://bonsaibpsbonsaiblog-bonsai.blogspot.com/2011_03_27_archive.html
Here is the tree before any of the work.
Other then water and fertilizing since the work done in the first post the tree has been left on its own. It has recovered nicely from the first drastic pruning and transplanting in March and is now ready for the next step.
Here is the tree prior to todays work.
I also removed all the branches that I decided were not going to be needed for the final design.
I've been undecided about keeping it a double trunk or removing the smaller trunk. So my decision was at least for now to keep both. On some of the branches that I cut off I left a part of them to turn into jins. On Junipers I'll very often leave more jins in the beginning of styling then I intend to use. They can always be removed later. The series of photo's below show the process of creating a jin from a branch that is alive at the time of jinning it. This will not work on branches that are already dried out.
Using a pair of concave cutters I score the bark around the entire base of the tree cutting through the bark but being careful not to cut into the branch.
After todays work the tree looks like this.
That's it for the work today. The next phase will consist of wiring and placing the branches and carving and refining the deadwood. I'm starting to lean towards styling with the idea of the second trunk remaining.
I'll probably do that work sometime in November then work on the branching until the spring of 2013 before putting it in its final pot, much smaller than this one.
I hope you enjoyed reading todays post and look forward to any comments you may have.
Slowly but surely I'm coming to grip with the new technology available. So if you get a chance check out and like us on our new Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kimura-Bonsai-and-Landscape-Nursery/108715782564105